Fall Is Here – What Kept You Entertained? Part 1.
May I start this off by saying…man, it’s hot in here…like, seriously. it’s so hot outside today, i think my AC unit is dying of heat exhaustion…and my crazy boyfriend is outside mowing the lawn and watering it with his sweat! Gross! Meanwhile, i’m indoors enjoying some US Open and reflecting on what’s kept me entertained this 2014 Summer!
I don’t even know where to start. I am so rusty from blogging, life has been so busy with moving, working two jobs, freelance, and blah-blah-blah, that I haven’t gotten my rant on with you guys in FOREVER!
So let’s talk about the shows that got me through up to our summer drought of entertainment…
I’d have to say my favorite comedy this past year was Brooklyn Nine-Nine! Andy Samberg, Terry Crews, Andre Braugher and the rest of the cast helped fill the void The Office left behind (wasn’t sure if that would ever happen)! This show just straight up makes me laugh! I’ve known of The Lonely Island for a while, first from their album Incredibad and later from their online series The Bu and seeing TLI join the writers of SNL, specifically Samberg’s success story up to this point has been very exciting! Also, Chelsea Peretti … this bitch is cazy and I f*cking love her! I used to listen often to her podcast Call Chelsea Peretti to get me through the work day and I know she had been doing writing on Parks & Rec, so seeing her on TV just makes me even bigger of a fan! Watch the premier of Season 2 on Sept. 28th 8:30/7:30c on Fox.
– Game of Thrones Without going into too much detail, those of you who have seen it i’m sure would agree with me when i say, “DAAAMMNN that was a good season!” Sh*t hit the fan, so many people died, we had some amazing fight scenes, we met so many new characters and it looks like we are ending the show with SO MANY exciting new stories and undiscovered places! I haven’t read the books, i don’t know what’s to come, but i do know i LOVED this season (and every other) of Games of Thrones.
– Being Human You know…it’s not fair, it’s really not fair when you fall inlove with a show, its characters, and the writing gets really good aaaand then it gets cancelled! WTF!? What am I going to do without seeing Aiden’s beautiful face, or hang out with my home-ghost girl Sally, or get frustrated with Nora and Josh’s upside down relationship! The final season introduced a new character that would have led into another interesting and entertaining storyline but NO! they just HAD to end it! It’s blasphemy i tell ya! Being Human was the best vampire/werewolf show on TV and I don’t care WHO argues with me on that. I know i’m right.
– Vikings Brutal and fast paced as ever, Ragnar Lothbrok and his group of vikings venture to new lands…there is so much to this story aside from the unnecessary violence, I promise you, this show is worth tuning into if you haven’t already. I’ve said it before, it was the best new edition to my lineup to hold me over till HBO brings back GoT. VERY much looking forward to its return to TV.
– Broad City I mean, total craziness, right? I was hoping HBO’s GIRLS would satisfy my funny female fix but that didn’t entertain me very much this past season, while Broad City certainly did! I didn’t know what to expect from this show. Comedy Central has been doing a pretty good job with their lineup. I continued watching Inside Amy Schumer but found myself really looking forward to Broad City. Ilana Glazer & Abbi Jacobson really know how to show people what life is REALLY like for young adults. It’s a struggle and I will continue to laugh at their hardships. I think the pair make me laugh in the ways Tina Fey did when working with her all-star women’s cast of SNL, only with these broads, its more dirty, shocking, immature and unexpectedly hilarious. I’ll be looking forward to their 2nd season premier.
– Cosmos A show about the world and beyond! If you haven’t seen or heard of this show, it’s aaaalll science and you need see this 1980s re-installment. Watch this and learn more than you thought you never thought you’d learn about! Get your mind blown. Watch this. Learn something. Thanks to Cosmos I am now a HUGE Neil Degrasse Tyson fan. I subscribe to and have listened to every podcast from his Star Talk Radio show…i love this man, he is a TOTAL Inspiration and to top it off, he’s a really nice, fun guy. I haven’t met him, but you just kind of know 🙂
– FaceOff and Jim Henson’s Muppet Challenge have been the only competition shows I’ve been watching (tho I will continue to tune into Master Chef and Top Chef if time permits), always entertaining to watch off the DVR (the ONLY way to watch it, if you ask me…i don’t need commercial breaks or the SAME drama of the SAME complications every week!..Personally, i would love it if they explained the process in more detail rather than have it be about their struggles). The contestants are so talented, it’s really awesome to see their designs from concept to completion – some better than others. I think i would have been good at character designer and creature modeling.
And how could I forget the most EPIC series FX brought to us in early spring….FARGO
I don’t usually watch suspense thrillers but this one is a MUST WATCH! I’ve only seen the movie once a long, long time ago that I can’t even really remember it. This show has an ALL STAR cast; Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman (the original Jim from the Office UK), Allison Tolman, Colin Hanks, and Bob Odenkirk (“Just Call Saul!”). Other characters played by many familiar faces such as Glen Howard (It’s Always Sunny…), Oliver Platt (The Big C), and Kate Walsh (Private Practice) just to name a few.
This is the kind of show that makes me feel like I’m watching a movie. Twas absolutely a favorite and i HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend you watch it!!
Quick Reviews – Summer TV
Antiheroes (cracked.com) – This was a surprisingly entertaining webseries that feels like Children’s Hospital only it’s not as funny and the acting isn’t very good. Antiheroes is about people who have super powers but don’t use them to save humanity. My inability to really care for the characters solely based on their acting makes me not care THAT much, but It isn’t the worst…I just expect a lot better. Too harsh? Maybe, but I say give it a shot, each episode is like, 5 minutes long and you might sort of like it too.
Orange Is The New Black – Now, I was late in getting to watch season 2 and I did my best to take my time with the season and omg…Amazing. Yea, I’m really not going to go into any detail except that I thought it started off a bit slow, but then it is just winner after winner after winner! If you’ve watched it, you know…you know how f*cking amazing it was, and once again, left me NEEDING more! I’m ready for Season 3, like today!
This is getting extensive, and there is so much more to talk about! Thanks for reading, to be continued…